What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
Briggs 2.0

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
FEISTY wrote:
My daughter's doing her Silver too - she needs a new backpack, since Bronze, when she turned up, having packed everything into a much smaller one and promptly had it exchanged for a bigger one from store. We thought we'd done really well :oops: .
So, you'd packed everything and somebody decided that it had to go in a bigger bag ? WTF are the instructors trying to teach ??

My preps included doing a test of my new down sleeping bag....With mixed results
Plenty of room round the foot area, which is why I bought a square bag rather then a mummy.
However, it wasn't designed for blokes my shape (17 inch collar, 48 inch chest.... But I have to buy 52 inch jackets to get my blacksmith's shoulders in)
So, now I have an 'only just used' sleeping bag to get rid of :cry:
I have a similar size problem. Maybe take a look at the Gelert sleeping pod xl. It's pushing it as a three season bag but it sure is big. When it's winter-cold I put a tropical army bag inside and it's not bad at all.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
jansman

Post by jansman »

I always sow me runner beans on St Georges Day. Dad always did, so do I. Major crop for me as I salt 'em down for Winter.
Done.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Had a delivery today,lots of tins are being stashed away, I need to get some big plastic boxes to keep it in some kind of order I think!

Lots of good deals on soups and veg in sainsburys at the moment too so making the most of them.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
20superkings

Post by 20superkings »

I reassembled my home and EDC bag first aid kits , rotating out any stuff that is too far out of date, adding fresh allergy tablets now hay fever season is fully setting in.

Also bought 5 5 litre colapseable water containers from B&M to boost water preps.

Usual extra food purchased extra tinned tuna 10 tins.

Research in to obtaining Mylar bags and buckets to improve rice and oat storage.

Checked pressure on 3 home fire extinguishers ....all ok.

That and finally made a post on this site after lurking so long :D
adrian007

Post by adrian007 »

This weekend - planting some trees. On the list, one chosen by each family member:

Cherry - for fruit
Mulberry - for fruit
Medlar - sort of for the fruit...but technically because my teenage son knows it's victorian name and giggles alot.
Sugar Maple - for the syrup... (youngest son's choice, but i like it, pure (ish) sugar would be hard to come by!)

Will have many more fruit trees in due course...
bob the builder

Post by bob the builder »

Currently building a new base for my shed but have run out of left over wood from other jobs so need to get down the timber merchants much cheaper than b&q. Once that is done going to shelve out 2 sides and put a bench along the third under the bench the mower and bbq will go rest will be for boxes full of camping and over stock food. Second fridge freezer has been put in garage and filled with a month's worth of food this new house is great for prepping all the space and not even floored the roof space yet

Wife busy in the garden planted blackberry bush and apple and plum trees and dime nice flowers but ran out of compost for the veg all going in containers I knocked up out if off cuts left over from some jobs I did back when handymaning

Planning on keeping a second food and equipment stash in my lock up along with my folding caravan well that's if I can keep it after moving house into a different council area. With a bit more work this year the caravan will be able to run off grid, solar pannels for power are needed
Not planning for the end of the world just to survive till normality resumes, while sticking to the scout moto be prepared!

Still considering do I want to survive the end of the world or deck chair on the front lawn with a cold beer?
jansman

Post by jansman »

bob the builder wrote:Currently building a new base for my shed but have run out of left over wood from other jobs so need to get down the timber merchants much cheaper than b&q. Once that is done going to shelve out 2 sides and put a bench along the third under the bench the mower and bbq will go rest will be for boxes full of camping and over stock food. Second fridge freezer has been put in garage and filled with a month's worth of food this new house is great for prepping all the space and not even floored the roof space yet

Wife busy in the garden planted blackberry bush and apple and plum trees and dime nice flowers but ran out of compost for the veg all going in containers I knocked up out if off cuts left over from some jobs I did back when handymaning

Planning on keeping a second food and equipment stash in my lock up along with my folding caravan well that's if I can keep it after moving house into a different council area. With a bit more work this year the caravan will be able to run off grid, solar pannels for power are needed
Just like you, my Brother stashes stuff in his lock up. In fact he has made it so he can move in for a while if he had to. There is even a tap outside it. Sounds useful.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:
ForgeCorvus wrote:
FEISTY wrote:
My daughter's doing her Silver too - she needs a new backpack, since Bronze, when she turned up, having packed everything into a much smaller one and promptly had it exchanged for a bigger one from store. We thought we'd done really well :oops: .
So, you'd packed everything and somebody decided that it had to go in a bigger bag ? WTF are the instructors trying to teach ??

In their defence, Jansman, we hadn't realised she'd also have additional items to carry. For all previous camps with both Guides and Scouts, she hadn't had to carry cooking equipment, etc, so she does need a bit of extra room for that. She now needs a proper, serious stuff, back-packing rucksack with the weight properly distributed on the hips instead of ruining her already strained back (school books for 8 Nat 5s are heavy). She and I both agree, it's a good, covert, way of buying prepping stuff without Dad wondering what's going on (any more than he does already :)). Son will be needing one soon too :). The smaller ones will still come in handy for summer walking where we'll need far less stuff.

I've just had the kids off for the Easter break for over two weeks and husband off work for over a week. Taking some time to try to restore the house to some kind of order. Not much in the way of preps done, but planning to start filling my 5 x 5 gallon buckets (white rice and lentils to begin with) any day soon (of course, having waited weeks while the kids were at school and DH was at work, did the bucket delivery not take place when we were all outside working in the garden and DS wanted to know exactly what they were for :roll: ). Will be fun to see if I can successfully seal the Mylar bags - I'm sure it's not as easy as it looks :).
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Learning how to make Tofu as home made Tofu is cheaper than commercial Tofu which can be cheaper than meat. Another useful life skill :)
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

nickdutch wrote:Learning how to make Tofu as home made Tofu is cheaper than commercial Tofu which can be cheaper than meat. Another useful life skill :)
Post SHTF, I'll run up your curtains with my Singer treadle sewing machine and you can make the Tofu ;). We're sorted!